As many of you will know, I am a chocoholic – I really do have the most dangerous sweet tooth (ask my children, I am always stealing their sweets). So when my trainer, Luka, put me on a zero carb (aka zero fun) diet, I tasked my assistant with finding recipes for desserts that I could eat! And, well, we’ve hit the jackpot on the first try – this recipe is fully approved by my trainer.
This isn’t just low carb it is also sugar free, dairy free, gluten free and surprisingly, not fun-free. If you somehow manage not to polish off the lot, you should store it in the fridge or freeze it.
This recipe is taken from www.sugarfreelondoner.com and you can find the original recipe here
For the Cake
- 2 cups / 200g almond flour or ground almonds
- 1 1/2 avocado (circa 150g / 3/4 cup mashed)
- 3 eggs medium
- 1/2 cup / 120g coconut cream
- 1/2 cup / 120ml almond milkunsweetened
- 1/3 cup / 40g cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/3 cup / 40g powdered erythritol use 1/2 cup / 60g if you like a sweeter cake. Use coconut sugar for Paleo
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tso vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1 avocado (circa 1/2 cup mashed)
- 2 oz / 56g unsweetened chocolate or dark chocolate, 85% cocoa solids minimum
- 1/2 cup / 60g powdered erythritol
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius / 356 Fahrenheit.
To make the cake, chop or mash you avocado and blend it in a food processor with the eggs, almond milk, coconut cream, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Blend for a few minutes until absolutely smooth and there are no lumps left. If necessary, scrape down the sides with a spatula in between.
Now add the almond flour, baking powder and sweetener and blend until well-combined.
Line a 7 inch springform with parchment paper and grease the sides. Fill in the batter and bake for about 30-35 minutes until the top is firm.
While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave (30 second bursts). Blend the avocado, sweetener, cocoa powder and almond milk in a food processor until absolutely smooth. Last, add the melted chocolate and blend until well-combined.
Spread over the completely cooled cake and serve.