The Caroline Look
I’m not one of those women blessed with naturally think, voluminous hair. Instead my hair has always been rather thin, which is notoriously known for being challenging when trying to hold a style or volume, a task I typically leave to the professionals (love you Luke xx). That is, until I discovered one of my favorite beauty hacks… hair extensions.
Now, I’ve always known of hair extensions as a way to lengthen your hair, but using them to add volume and fullness is something I only just started doing in the last several years.
I use extensions to add fullness and body to my natural hair. They also help hold the shape after my hair has been styled and prevent frizz, which is especially important with the hot and humid weather we have in Dubai.
Additionally, my extensions are instrumental in creating my signature #carolinecut. They give me fullness in my ends (buh-bye breakage, see you later split ends ✌) which makes it possible to achieve my blunt, sleek bob that I’m known for.
Not only that, but when you have full hair you actually look younger and more youthful! Ok, forgive me for a moment while I get a bit scientific, but did you know that almost 50% of woman over the age of 40 experience some type of hair thinning? I didn’t want to believe this, (especially now that I’m 40) but all is ok because extensions are an easy, affordable way to combat this (take that Mother Nature).
Now there are a variety of hair extensions available; clip-in, sew-in, fusion & pre- bonded, real and synthetic, and the list goes on. I personally use tape in extensions that I wear every day. And because they’re made from real human hair, I’m able to wash, dry and style them just like I do with my own hair.
My that tape in extensions are also hassle free and so easy to maintain. You have them put in at the initial appointment and then pretty forget them. I only go back to the salon once every 6-8 weeks to have them repositioned. And because they’re made from high quality human they can be reused over and over again.
I get asked all the time what my secret is for keeping my body in great shape for a mum of three who also recently turned 40. I wish there was a magic answer to this question but honestly, there is no easy answer. The answer is a lot of hard work. I train at the gym almost daily and I eat well… I don’t like to say I diet, because dieting to me is something a person does for a period of time and then they eventually revert back to their old habits. Instead, I make healthy eating a part of my lifestyle. After all, most any trainer you ask will tell you abs are made in the kitchen.
Below I’ve compiled some of my favorite “Easy” tips for healthy eating:
- Substitute soda or juice (or any surgery drink) with sparkling water and a lime wedge. The bubbles in sparkling water are more fun to drink than still water and the lime adds flavor.
- By eating small snacks throughout the day you keep your blood sugar levels balanced and prevent overeating.
- When I feel hungry the first thing I reach for is water. Often times that hunger feel we experience is actually our bodies telling us we’re dehydrated.
- I’ve found that more often than not, people cheat on their diets out of convenience. I like to pre-make vegetable trays with hummus (I try to avoid Ranch because it’s full of fat) for those times when I need a quick and easy snack. A pre-washed, pre-cut vegetable tray helps me avoid the temptation of “convenient” snacks like potato chips or cookies for a guilt free snack anytime of day. If vegetables aren’t your thing, try squeezing lime juice on some green apple slices.. it tastes just like sour patch kids but without the guilt!
- Avoid eating after 8pm. On average people are less active in the evening and therefore burn less calories during those hours. Not only that, but people tend to reach for high fat, high sugar foods at night. (Show me a person who chooses carrots over ice cream for their midnight snack and I’ll show you a unicorn.) Bonus: Green Smoothie Recipe 1 small green apple chopped 10 green grapes 1/4 cup honeydew melon
- 1 banana 1 cup fresh spinach 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
Blended together with coconut water and ice for a low calorie, low sugar smoothie!
My Staple, the Spray Tan!
Spray tans are a main staple in my beauty regime and something I do on a consistent weekly basis. One could even say I’m a bit addicted and for good reason. I’m a firm believer that a great tan is a quick and easy way to make anyone look healthier, more toned and generally feel better about their appearance.
Not only do spray tans give me the appearance of hours spent soaking up Vitamin D, they also do a fantastic job of hiding those annoying imperfections that we all have. I’ve noticed people also look more toned when they’re tan because a darker skin colour hides flaws and creates the illusion of thinness.
Most of you reading this are probably like me where you feel there’s just never enough hours in a day. I know I’m constantly running from one appointment to the next with very little down time in between. I don’t have hours to spend at the beach trying to achieve a perfectly bronzed, even tan. That’s just not realistic, nor is it safe (hello skin damage). Instead, my spray tan appointments are quick and convenient (my tanner, Manel, even does house calls!) and they leave me bronzed for up to 7 days. A perfect solution for any busy Mum on the go.
Not only do they give me my sun-kissed glow, but spray tans do so without the potentially harmful effects that come from laying out in the sun. Exposer to sunlight can damage your skin causing dark spots, wrinkles and in some cases, melanoma.
Below you can find my “Helpful Hints” for all you ladies new to the world of spray tanning.
- Prep your skin by exfoliating and shaving the day before your appointment to create a smooth even base for your tan.
- Avoid showering for 6-8 hours after the application of your tan to make sure you don’t wash it off before your tan has had time to fully developed.
- Moisturize after showering to maintain an consistent, even tan.
- Drink plenty of water to ensure your skin stays hydrated and plump.
Caroline gets tanned by ManelMizyed, Dubai’s celebrity spray-tanner. For more information follow Manel at https://www.instagram.com/ manel_celebritytanner/ or call 056 303 4044